Friday, November 5, 2010

You Racist *&*%!


Ha, I hope that title caught your attention. Now you all know I couldn’t write a blog without talking about race, gender, religion, etc…

Today I attended a very engaging brown bag lunch for the book club UCDSOM has. Actually they are making every first year med student read the book, Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race, by Beverly Daniel Tatum, as well.  Although I have read parts of this book before, I still find new things to take away from it.

I was also very interested to see how my fellow classmates would react to it. And well let’s just say we had very interesting sets of reactions. Ha!

So, when you think of racism, what are we REALLY thinking? How do you even define racism? It’s really hard to have these types of conversations when we don’t even have clear definitions.

In her book, Tatum defines today’s racism as being passive and more systemic/institutional than the racism of the 70’s which was active and personal. Under this definition than, she defines ALL whites as being racist, because they knowingly or sometimes unknowingly benefit from this system of advantage. Now let’s dwell on that…if you’re white, you’re racist!

However, I must disagree with her when she states that under this system minorities cannot be racists because they have always been the oppressed. I personally feel that EVERY single one of us is racist/prejudiced.

If you’ve ever taken your maleness for granted, you’re guilty. If you’ve ever taken your gender for granted, you’re guilty.  If you’ve ever taken your age for granted, you’re guilty. If you’ve ever taken you’re religion for granted, you’re guilty. You’re guilty because you have actively benefitted from the system because you were in the majority.

So first step: acknowledge that you are racist. Accept it. Yes, it might make you angry, yes it might bother you, but it’s the truth!

Now let’s deal with it. I truly believe there is not enough dialogue in homes and in schools about racism and its existence in today’s societies. Educate yourself, your friends, your kids, your significant others. Let’s start some conversation people!

4 comments:

  1. good post! I was really surprised at how much some of our classmates (I'm in your class) don't like that book. Unlike them, I have actually gotten a lot out of the little parts of it I have read. I totally agree though: we should get more dialogue going! Not only about racial issues, but the other forms of prejudice that exist because of the way our society runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha....I agree. I just now heard someone say how much of a waste of time this book was. He went on to comment on how he thought the book was prejudice! I wish I was in his doctoring group!

    I actually can't wait until we meet again...I think people have gotten a little more comfy with each other so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey krystal! i just recently saw this documentary http://www.hulu.com/crips-and-bloods-made-in-america . the first half is soooo powerful!! the documentary gives insight into how American society has always held onto notions of oppression, racism, and intolerance of African Americans, in especially. i think what spoke to me the most, was the first hand accounts given by individuals in the documentary. anywho if you ever have time, you should watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will watch it soon! Is it emotional tho?!? All these documentaries always make me so upset!

    ReplyDelete