Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The B-Word


What exactly is in the word “bitch?” Well, it literally means “female dog,” but it is often used to put down outspoken and confident women and/or subordinate men.

It is such a small, yet powerful word. It has the potential of taking everything away from a woman, and making her feel worthless…powerless. Yet, woman all over the country have recently begun to embrace the term, from Clinton to Palin. Well not really embrace, but you know…

So does that mean that the word “bitch” has become no BFD? Heck no!

It is still fully charged with sexism and now homophobia. It is still a malicious and spiteful word. Along with gay/faggot (being misused) and illegal (as in illegal alien), it is one of four words that I will stand up and be the loud brown girl everyone thinks I am.

People throw out the word “bitch” when they feel scared and threatened, mostly due to their own insecurities.

It is not our fault that we are strong, outspoken, unapologetic, commanding women. And no, we won’t calm down to make YOU feel more comfortable. And NO we won’t allow you to use that demeaning word to help make you feel more secure about your damn self!

So moral of the story, it is NOT okay to use the word bitch, and yes it is still a BFD to give us such a label!

2 comments:

  1. AGREED!

    Funny thing is it's really easy for me to hear that word from a girl, whether it be an insult or between friends... But from a guy, it really shakes me up, pisses me off, makes me super upset, and has been a reason I even stopped talking to someone ("you're acting like such a bitch" - guys' favorite line because they know they shouldn't be calling you a bitch so they say you're acting like one!)

    What do you think is the big difference between men and women using it? I tend not to use it, but excuse the people around me or sometimes let it slip when I really dislike someone.. Should women use it in their everyday lingo? Does this encourage guys to be more casual about it and use it themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything out of a man's mouth just seems more vulgar! lol

    Honestly, I hate hearing the word period. However I must admit I rarely say anything when another female says it, even though I am cringing inside. AND I have to admit I use it when a man makes me really angry.

    But your right, women using it/embracing it just makes men feel like its no big deal when they drop the B-word.

    So I think we should all just eliminate it from our vocabs...even if your really REALLY dislike someone :-)

    ReplyDelete