Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Megavitamin Therapy?!?

A recent reader left me a comment asking me about "megavitamin" therapy. Although I have only heard of it briefly, here are the things I know about it. Megavitamin therapy has been proposed to be successful in treating depression, gout, and even cancer. However, I don't exactly know if there exists any HARD evidence to support this.

In the US, drugs/treatments need to go through an extensive list of tests before being put on the market. This incudes a wide array of clinical trials on a rodent, non-rodent, and than of course, humans. I am almost 100% certain that many of these megavitamin therapies are currently undergoing these tests, but as far as I am concerned, I don't beleive any of them have passed.

I think the biggest criticism of megavitamin therapy came with an array of clinical trials proving that megadoses of Vit C did nothing to help prevent or alleviate the common cold.

Once again, I have only briefly heard of this, and would love the input of someone with more knowledge! There is also a documentary my reader mentioned about this, and hopefully we can get that link out soon!

Check back for more deetz!

No comments:

Post a Comment